The TRUTH about Homelessness
- Poverty is the leading cause of homelessness, NOT mental illness or substance abuse.
- In King County, nearly 9000 individuals are without a place to call home. More than 23,000 individuals are facing homelessness in Washington.
- While food banks help fight against hunger, they are under-utilized by the homeless because of lack of transportation and cooking facilities.
- 1 in 5 homeless individuals are women.
- 15% of the homeless are families.
- Wait lists for low-income housing in King County can exceed two years.
- Shelters are not always the best option due to overcrowding, the rampant spread of disease, violence, unsanitary conditions, and drug activity.
- There is only limited shelter space available for married couples and pet owners.